Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Change of Look and Direction (somewhat)

It's been a while since I last posted a book review, or any other post in this blog since I've been putting most of my reviews in my other blog, https://world-of-sleuths.blogspot.com/. I've decided to change that some. If the followers of this blog haven't noticed, I've changed the look, description and most of all, the name of this blog.

The name of this blog is now, Tim's Public Domain Reads. I have started reading a book in the public domain at the same time that I'm reading other books. My goal is to read at least two books that are in the public domain each month. The reviews for those books will be posted in this blog. I will also write other posts such as information of authors that are in the public domain and other related information.

For those of you that don't know what the Public Domain is, I'll just sum it up as old stuff. For books here in the United States, it usually means books originally published in 1922 or before. On January 1, 2018 it will change to books published in 1923 or before. There are sites on the internet where you can download these books for free in various ebook formats and then can copy them to your ereader or read them on your computer. The sites that I usually use are Project Gutenberg and Many Books. Also, there are some books that were originally published later than the date that your country has set for the cutoff. It varies by each country's copyright laws.

When you think of books that fall within the guidelines for this, you probably think of books that you had to read in school. Many of those books are in the public domain, but there are so many more that you probably have never heard of before. There are books from most genres in the public domain. Back then, middle grade and YA were not genres, but you can find books that would fit in both. The nice thing is that they are free as long as you get them from sites such as those that I listed above. I will make a post in the future listing more sites like those.

I will leave all of the reviews that I have written before now in this blog. Several of the book reviews in this blog are for books that are in the public domain. I will also copy the reviews of books that are in the public domain in my other blog to this blog.

The purpose of this blog will be to get more people to read books in the public domain and enjoy them.

Just as a note, The books that I review in this blog, are ones that interest me. Please don't ask me to review some of the old romances such as those written by Jane Austen. Books like that and some other genres just don't interest me and puts my to sleep.

--Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment